People keep asking me what I want to do with my life… I’m studying Media and get the question, “okay, where do you want that to take you?” and I always make up some shamble answer.
To be honest the true answer to the question of “What do you want to do with your life?” is this:
I want to make a difference
I want to make a big… lasting… worthwhile… difference
I want to make a difference not so “I” can make a difference but because there are differences that need to be made and I want to work hard to see that happen
I don’t see myself in the position of devoting all my time and resources into a NPO, or aid organisation and constantly feeling like I need to give up more, yet that extra dollar only feeds one kid for one meal.
I don’t see myself in the position of devoting all my time and resources into getting really, really, ridiculously rich and donating heck-loads to charities.
I don’t see myself in the position of sacrificing heaps of my morals and ethics so I can get into a political position that actually has some power to create change.
I see myself somewhere in between. I just don’t know where. Sure, I’d get into politics or business if they weren’t so corrupt. I’d even get into NPOs if I thought it was right. But none of those three options seem right… I just have to learn what the fourth option is.
When I grow up I want to:
- Be married to a wonderful women
- Raise some amazing children, and see it work out right for each child in their own appropriate way
- Live on the northern beaches of Sydney without commuting to the city every day
- Be well traveled, networked and lived life
- Represent this great southern land at the Olympics
- and last but not least, somehow achieving the above and: “make a big… lasting… worthwhile… difference”
I’m not even going to preempt how, but I know that if I’m consistent with my character and always flexible, open-minded, determined and joyful then things will work out right (not always happy, but right).